Proverbs 22:6

Proverbs 22:6
Train up a child in the way he should go, And when he is old he will not depart from it.

Friday, August 12, 2011

School Day & Curriculum

This year I have a 4th grader, 3rd grader, 1st grader and a pre-schooler (when he feels like it). =)  Our day starts sometime in the morning and lasts for 4-5 hours.  We are having a great year this year and all the kids seem to be enjoying themselves.  We started on August 1st and hope to end in late May.  That pretty much means we need to get 17 days of school in a month (except for December when we can take an extra week off for Christmas & New Years)  We plan on taking a 2 month break during the summer.  Let's face it,  not only do the kids need it, but I do too!

I have decided to use Sonlight for Bible, Science and History (Core 1) for all my kids.  I am using Sonlight's LA program for my 1st grader (except for Spelling).

Other resources I am using are:
Modern Press Curriculum Phonics Level C (3rd & 4th grade phonics)
HWT (for 5th grade and 1st grade)
Explode the Code Books 1-3 (1st grade phonics)
Typing for Kids
Drawing Basics with Thomas Kinkade
English Grade 3
Horizons Math Grade 1
Teaching Textbooks 3 & 4 (Math for 3rd & 4th)
Flashmaster (for math facts)
All About Spelling (Levels 1 & 2 and hopefully 3 at some point)
Wordly Wise B (for 3rd & 4th grade vocabulary)
With my older kids, I am borrowing books from the library for Reading.

Below is pretty much what school looks like.

 I have charted out their day.  I highlight the subject once they have done it, so I'm not asking myself, "Now, who needs to do what?"  I put faint A's in at the end of some of the days because Art is always on a Tuesday, but some weeks it can be on other days too.

I typed this out for the weekly schedule.  It's broken down by subjects and then again by individual books.  I got this idea from Sonlight, but added all my extra-curricular stuff in so that I'm not bouncing back and forth from schedule to schedule.  It's all on one page.
It has only taken me four whole years of home-schooling to come up with this.  It has been working great so far and I'm feeling organized.

No comments:

Post a Comment