Proverbs 22:6

Proverbs 22:6
Train up a child in the way he should go, And when he is old he will not depart from it.

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Science

I have a love/hate relationship with science.  I love seeing how things are made or how they work.  I love it when a science project actually works and it's really cool.  I love learning new things about animals, space, weather, you name it.  But what I can't stand is gathering materials for the experiment.  I don't like having to find a horseshoe magnet when I already have a bar magnet.  I don't like trying to find what are called 'common household products', but yet I have never heard of them before and would have no clue where to find them.  Know what I mean?  Does anyone else have this problem?

A couple things have really helped me out with this annoying problem.  First, I have been using Sonlight's Science which comes with science supplies, both re-usable and consumable.  They also have a great little book each year called, "Science Activities".  Sonlight's science supplies coincide with this book.  So most of the time you have everything you need.
 
One of Sonlight's Science Experiment Supplies kits

Another thing that has helped out in the whole science experiment world, is a product called "Real Science".  My mother-in-law got these for me at Ollies.  Oh how I love and miss Ollies.  I have asked if they were going to get an Ollies in B'ham and I was told by an employee that, quote, "The General is way too busy to be building new stores anywhere else."  *tear*  OK, I know I need to get over it, but I love that store!!  End of tangent. =)  These science kits come with absolutely everything that you need for the science experiments included.  Including a workbook and log book.  They truly are a lot of fun.


 Inside the Electricity kit

Because they were a gift, I don't know how much they cost.
But even with most of the supplies at my fingertips, I still don't like to get the projects together...What gives??  So I have decided to man up! (or is that woman up?) and take the time to gather supplies and read through how to do it, because the joy on my children's faces as they see an experiment come to life is totally worth it!  A couple days ago we did the compass experiment from pp 34-35 of Science Activities (pictured above) and my kids absolutely loved it!  They thought it was so cool that the magnet kept on swinging the same direction.  And we also figured out which direction was true north and which direction our house faced, etc.

 My son was absolutely amazed that the magnet insisted on pointing the same direction no matter what direction they put it in the water

The huge smile makes it worth it to gather up all those pesky supplies. =)
So I hope this help encourage you to do the science experiments with your kids.  It can be a pain in the backside sometimes, but it is totally worth it to see them learn and experience things for themselves.  But best of all, is their smiles and excitement as you do the project together.

No comments:

Post a Comment