I had posted in a prior blog my strategy for scheduling four different grades.
Well, it's changed.
HA!
I have been so overwhelmed by the whole thing. Just looking at that schedule (as trimmed down as it was) just about sent me into cardiac arrest.
I began to think of the advice that a very wise woman once told me...
(I have quoted her in a previous post)
"Just relax!"
I'm not one of those people to just relax though.
I'm a box checker for one.
I have to check off that I did the pages I said I was going to do, or read the pages of the books that I had scheduled to read, otherwise I don't feel accomplished.
I absolutely stress if I don't get EVERYTHING done that I had scheduled to do.
(Even though I remember in public school us not finishing books or lessons and it was not big deal.)
But what I'm doing isn't public school.
I have the pressure of skeptical people looking at me and my choice to homeschool.
I have the responses of, "Oh, you homeschool..."
(Imagined that line dragged out with the look of disdain.)
Although, where I live now, it's more widely accepted.
Thankfully!
But I still get those responses and attitudes.
I've already addressed this issue in an earlier post though...so continuing...
My point is, there is a lot of pressure on me to teach my kids to the best of my ability.
Some from 'outsiders', but mostly from myself.
Having a schedule is important to me though.
I have the tendency to just skip things if it's not scheduled.
Especially subjects or books that I'm not all that interested in.
(Yes, I did end that sentence in a preposition. - a big no-no!)
=)
But the advice,
"Just relax."
keeps running through my head.
How can I schedule enough to keep me accountable,
but not so much that I feel like a failure if I don't complete it??
I may have found the solution.
I repeat, may.
I talked with a really good friend of mine this past weekend, who also homeschools.
Sometimes it's just good to talk to someone else and see how they do things.
She was telling me how she schedules,
and it gave me some great ideas.
Basically, this is what I've come up with thus far:
For Reading
A book list of 40 books for my two older children to read.
They must choose 24 of those books to read during the school year.
(with a goal of 6 a quarter to stay on track.)
For Science
Choose a few topics that we want to study during the school year.
Borrow/Buy books that coincide with that topic.
Read them until we're ready to go on to the next topic.
Spend enough time to do science projects that have to deal with those topics so it's not just all reading, no fun.
For History
Choose books that we want to read for the year.
(We're studying US history)
Start reading those books for 4 weeks, take 4 weeks off, read them for 4 weeks, take 4 weeks off, etc.
That will make it so we don't get burned out.
For Math
A lesson a day
If we don't get it done within a half hour, continue it the next day.
For Spelling/Hand Printing
Do it every other day as far as the child will allow, but not going over 20 minutes.
All attention is lost after that.
So basically, my schedule will show me what subjects I want to do each day.
Plus, I'll have a list of the books/topics we want to read for each subject.
We'll get done what we can.
This way of scheduling will allow us time to do side projects, borrow other books that have to do with the same subject, book reports or whatever the case may be.
It will give us a greater opportunity to dive into a subject that we are more interested in.
All this without feeling like we have to play catch up.
If we don't read a particular chapter from a particular book because we chose to do a project,
I won't feel behind.
We'll learn more.
And isn't that what homeschooling is about??
Not getting pages read, books read, papers done because a schedule says you have to do them.
But investigating further.
Learning more.
Continuing to study what you don't know and aren't getting
or reviewing what you do know and moving on.
I long for the day where I don't stress out because I didn't check the box on Week 5, Day 3 under History, and now I'm "behind".
I long for the day where we learn more, dig more, study more and are less concerned with scheduling.
So in 2012/2013 I plan to be
Less of a box-checker.
Be less stressed.
Have more fun.
I plan to be more relaxed.
No comments:
Post a Comment