Well, this is it. The last stretch of our 2013-2014 school year. We've put in 144 days. Only 36 to go. The year actually flew by. But as usual, despite our best efforts to make it easier to do school in spring, we are trudging through. Our workload is lighter, so that makes it a little easier.
I ordered our new books in the beginning of March. I only spent $406 for 4 kids!!!! I'm very happy with that. This is the least I've ever spent teaching 4 kids for an entire year. In between comparison shopping, free shipping, previous purchased and not used books, and a child telling me she doesn't like her (semi-expensive) math program anymore and wants to share her brother's program, it all saved money. So here's the part where I share new curriculum.
This one isn't new to me, but my daughter will be using the book aspect of it (as per her request), as my son will be using the CD-ROM part of it. She was using Horizons 5, and wanted to switch over to Teaching Textbooks. I did a placement test for her and she landed into TT 7!! (So here's a shout out to Horizons and their accelerated math program!) I think she just wanted to slow the pace down a little bit. I kind of don't blame her. As I was helping her with Horizons, in my head I'm thinking: "This work is for a 5th grader???"
Next up is a newly discovered History supplement. Let me start off with saying, I do not like to teach History. Let's just put it this way... I passed History with Ds & Cs. It just never clicked with me. So now, when I'm teaching it to the kids, I try to make it exciting. And I have to admit, in my adult life, I "get it" much better than I did as a kid. But I'd much rather have it taught to me than teach it. I know it is very important to learn History, Politics, and Social Studies; we learn from past mistakes & triumphs. And that my dear readers, is the ONLY reason that I strive and make an effort to teach it. But I'm also honest with myself... I stink at it.
That's why when I discovered these DVDs, I was so excited.
Somebody mentioned this DVD series to me, and I can't remember who it was, so forgive me for not giving you credit.
They are documentaries, geared for teenagers. My kids love documentaries, so I thought we'd test them out. And the series didn't disappoint. My 7, 8, 10 & 11 year old kids love it. They learn. They think the host is funny, so it keeps their attention. And did I mention, they're learning... History?!?
There are a couple episodes on Netflix. But CBD & Amazon carry a bunch of them for sale. Also check your local library!!
As I'm sure you could get them elsewhere too.
As I mentioned, they're more supplemental, and not a replacement for your History program. Although, you can get them with a book/workbook for teenagers.
| Each of these comes with three 30 minute episodes. Links above: click on CBD or Amazon |
History for my future 2nd grader:
I found this book from A Beka. It's mostly a reader, but it has questions too. That's just what my little guy needs!
And my last new thing for 2014-15 is the Paces. Social Studies... another subject I don't enjoy teaching. I asked on Facebook for feedback on these along with other social studies curriculum, and although a few did reply, it wasn't enough for me to make an informed decision.
These workbooklets are self-study, so it (hopefully) will require little effort from me. And when you're teaching 4 different grade levels, the more they can do themselves with guidance and not full-fledged teaching, the better. Anyway, the price was right (about $34 for a full set per student), so I figured, why not? When looking at the individual Paces for 1st & 2nd grade, I was not that impressed. (henceforth the A Beka book above) But I haven't actually used it to give it an informed opinion.
| Click on the words "Social Studies" above; It will send you to the Paces on CBD's site. |
Okay, off of curriculum, and onto my 6th grader's achievements.
Now before I go bragging on him, and you start rolling your eyes, let me just tell you that this child has overcome so many learning challenges that us typical learners can't even imagine. So below is his 3rd quarter report card with no handicaps. Drum roll please...
He is the only one I gave a report card to this year. Next year, I will do all of them. It's good for me. Even though I'm doing work with them hands on, it's hard to keep track of who was doing well in what subject. It gives me a good gauge on what I need to work harder on. And I think it's good for them too. My oldest loves to see those As line up across the card. :)
Oh, and we had a Valentines Day Party... Well when I say party, I mean we got together with one other homeschool family. We love them like family, so why not celebrate Valentine's Day with them. :) You can see pics from that on my other blog. Click here. You will need to scroll down 2/3 of the way.
No comments:
Post a Comment