Proverbs 22:6

Proverbs 22:6
Train up a child in the way he should go, And when he is old he will not depart from it.

Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Math Helps

It's the end of the school year.
Just 12 days left.
The kids are tired.
Mom is tired.
And Math seems to be suffering.
Math has become "too hard".  At least that's what I hear over and over again.

My solution: Try to help them understand what's going on.
My tools: Microsoft Excel, a printer, and a laminating machine. :)

For help with converting the metric system, I made this chart and laminated it for them.  They can use a dry erase marker to use the chart for multiple problems.
Simple directions are under each side to help them decide where the whole number goes.

For help with Place Value, I made this chart.  Again, laminating it and having the child fill in the number, so that he can see which number is in the _ place.
My son struggles with where the commas go, so I made sure I put those in place for him.

For help with beginning stages of long division, this chart has been very helpful.  He fills in the "blank" divided by "blank" and then works the problem filling in the boxes, subtracting, and following the arrows.  Dry erase makes it easy to do with multiple problems, especially since he's using Teaching Textbooks without the workbook.

I made the boxes a little big, so the remainder box is small.  I was just too lazy to do it all over again making the other boxes a bit smaller.
I make him say what is happening as he fills out the chart.  For example, let's say the problem is 541 divided by 3.  He'd say, "Three goes into 5 how many times without going over.  One.  Five minus three equals 2.  Drop down the 4.  Three goes into 24 how many times without going over. Eight.  Twenty-four minus 24 equals 0.  Drop down the one.  Three goes into 1 how many times without going over? Zero.  One minus 0 equals one.  The remainder is one.

**Edit** 4/23/15  I've added another template for when the divisor will not go into the first digit of the dividend.  It also has a fraction bar for the remainder.


If you don't have a laminating machine, menu holders make great dry erase boards too.  I got some at Sam's Club years ago... I'm not sure if they still carry them.  I still use those if I've bought a consumable workbook and didn't want to keep on buying it for the next child.

No comments:

Post a Comment