This past year was a tough one. I feel like I really didn't have anything important to say. I had no advice to give. In my eyes, I was failing at this homeschool thing.
My last post was a post on making homeschool easier. I used all these online resources. So why wasn't it easier?
I don't exactly have an answer for that. I don't know why. But I do know, that this tough year pushed me in directions I would not have gone down on my own.
Mid school year, we began Easy Peasy Homeschool for some of our subjects. (Science & Geography) And it's a good thing we did. We were majorly struggling with those. I mean, struggling to get them finished daily or even do them at all, kind of struggling.
This year, I plan on having the kids use Easy Peasy for everything except Math and Grammar/Spelling. I'm looking forward to that!
Math... I have to apologize readers. I recommended Teaching Textbooks. And I really loved the fact that I didn't have to teach. And that it was student led. It had its own gradebook. And it was self grading... BUT, after my youngest was using it for 2 years, my middle son used it for 3 years, and my oldest used it from 3rd grade to 8th grade, we did assessment tests. All three of my boys scored well below their grade level. I had heard and read so many great things about this curriculum. So, I'm very disappointed that this was the result. As a side note: my daughter used Horizons for 5 years, 1 year of Teaching Textbooks, and PACE math for a year, and she scored above her grade level. She actually struggles with math, and my boys are naturally good at it. So I don't know what happened and why this curriculum failed us, but it did. :( If you're using Teaching Textbooks, I recommend assessing your child in math to make sure they are on target. I'm sure it works just fine with some kids, but not mine.
So what am I doing for math this year? A friend of mine recommended Math Mammoth. I am very excited to start this program for my two youngers. They have a lot of catching up to do, but I think they will really excel once we get started. It explains the math concepts from multiple angles. And the one that clicks with your kid, is the one you use to teach. This makes sense, because each of my kids learn differently. And there isn't always one perfect way to teach something. I will be using the Blue series.
* * *
I actually ordered from Math Mammoth and accidentally ordered the wrong thing. It was a digital copy of worksheets, and I received them right away. As soon as I realized that, I messaged the company and told them what I had done. I also told them since I've already received the product, I understand if they couldn't do anything for me. Guess what? They gave me a full refund! That was more than I ever expected! I only have great things to say about their customer service!! When I use the product, and I assess the kids at the end of the year, I'll let you know how the product did. :)
* * *
For Algebra I, I am using AskDrCallahan. They use Elementary Math by Harold Jacobs, as their textbook. They offer DVD helps, teacher's manuals, and Answer Keys. This math text has been proven by a local high school to produce the highest grades in college compared to all other high schools in our area. Plus, my friend's family owns the company, so I can go to her anytime I need help. :D She's gonna love me. :PFor Grammar, I am going to continue using Easy Grammar for my two younger ones (with Daily Grams). For Spelling: All About Spelling (like the years before). These are still working for us.
* I began writing this post in early June 2016 and never published it. Since then, we have started school back up (end of June). I am loving Easy Peasy so far. We've only done Art, PE/Health, Computer, and 6th grade Spanish so far. My younger boys are liking Math Mammoth and aren't complaining. And my two olders LOVE their new math program (Harold Jacobs Elementary Math) and actually enjoy doing math now. In fact, they argue over who is getting the textbook first. Now that's an argument that I can tolerate. Haha!
So, as I say at the top of my blog... I am always learning on this homeschool journey. So here's to another year of learning, changing, and trying not to go crazy. ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment