I don't know about you,
but I've been struggling with book reports.
I tried to do them last year (and the year before that),
but the whole thing just flopped.
Part of the reason is because my kids hate writing.
Even my daughter who loves to make up stories of her own.
As soon as the words, 'book report' are mentioned,
She shuts down.
My oldest son just hates writing and creative writing in general.
Many times with him, a Story Starter will end up as a few nonsense words on paper.
I've been debating what to do all Summer.
I knew I needed to have them do it.
Just in case I would send them to public school one day - not likely though!
Or If they decide to go to college,
Or for a future job.
Not only that, but it helps with comprehension skills.
I came up with the idea of writing a model book report,
because one of their biggest complaints was
"I don't know what to write or how to do it!"
I recently talked to a friend.
She used to teach 3rd & 4th grade.
She gave me suggestions.
I combined her suggestions with what was already rattling around in my brain.
And this is what I came up with...
#1
The Living Book Report (for Biographies)
#2
A Bubble Book Report
| This simple report requires facts. Complete sentences are not necessary. I will most likely use this one at the beginning of the school year to get them started. |
#3
A Fill in the Blank Book Report
| A fill in the blank report. Like the biography one, I'm hoping they get the idea and are able to do it on their own come the end of the year. That's my goal! |
#4
A Critic's Report
| Writing as if you were a book critic. This report also helps figure out cataloging in the library. |
#5
A Book Summary
| A simpler one of just writing the facts. |
#6
(There is no picture for this one)
A Librarian's Summary
Pretty much, pretend you are a librarian and explain the book to the students.
Who doesn't like to pretend??
#7
Book Cover
This isn't really a report,
but the idea is to make a book cover according to what you know about the story.
# 8
(More for Biographies or Science Projects)
Museum exhibit
* * *
Now onto Geography
Last year we did the same workbook and coloring sheet for every state that we studied.
We got through 16 states . . .
barely.
I don't blame them for protesting.
The workbook had the same kind of activity for each state.
The coloring sheets were the same old, same old.
I tried to throw in a Make Your Own Poster here and there to break up the monotony,
And it did some,
but not enough to keep their interest.
So I made up some sheets of my own to help mix things up and keep it interesting.
(Again, with ideas thrown in from my friend Amanda)
#1
State Bubble
| A lot like the bubble for the book report. Just simple facts. A beginning. |
#2
State License Plate
| From everything we have learned about a State, I thought it would be fun to make up what we think that State's license plate should look like. |
#3
State Tri-Fold Brochure
| This was Amanda's awesome idea! A brochure telling about the State. |
#4
Rest Area State Attractions
#5
Make the State Flag
(no pic)
#6
Make State Map
(no pic)
#7
Make a State Poster
(no pic)
Between this and me ordering new State Workbooks to do,
I'm hoping these ideas capture their attention and keep it.
* * *
I just wanted to share some ideas.
Who knows if they'll work,
Only the school year will tell.
Here's hoping I accomplish my goal of
Having my older children make at least one book report all on their own by the end of the year . . .
And, My kids not growing absolutely dreadfully bored with a monotonous Geography class.
=)
No comments:
Post a Comment