Proverbs 22:6

Proverbs 22:6
Train up a child in the way he should go, And when he is old he will not depart from it.

Monday, August 27, 2012

Elementary Math Manipulative Ideas

Everything I made was using Word or Excel, a color printer, laminating machine, white card stock paper (for its durability and non-transluscent qualities) and/or self adhesive velcro tabs.

For Place Value


I made this using Microsoft Word.
I made a chart for tens numbers, hundreds numbers and thousands numbers.
It's a great way to help with place value.
If we were doing a hundreds number,
My son would often leave the number out of the tens place if it was a zero.
For example,
If his math problem told him to write the numeric form of two hundred five,
He would write 25.
He knew it was wrong, but he couldn't figure out how to fix it.
I made these place value charts along with the hundreds, tens & ones block manipulatives as a supplementary tool.
When he did it that way, he'd get it right every time.

For Adding (or Subtracting) Single Digits
To help with the monotony of hand written drills,
I'd have the students roll two 9-sided die.
They'd call out the sum (or difference) of the die rolled.


For Adding Double Digits or Higher
Again Using Microsoft Word...
And using the same idea as with the place value chart,
I made this to help with adding.
Focusing on: starting to add in the ones place first, then the tens place, etc.
If carrying was required, I'd have them put a 1 card above the respective place value.
You can also use the manipulative blocks here if your student has trouble adding.

For Ordinal Numbers
When introducing ordinal numbers, I use the 'front side'.
That side highlights the coinciding picture with the written word and the standard form.
Once we have gone over that,
I then flip them to the backside where it is only a highlighted picture without the number word or the numeric symbol.
The student has to guess which ordinal number it is.
He then flips over the card to see if he was right.
If you do this make sure you use card stock!
Regular paper can be seen through.

 For Seasons
I made up these, Using Excel this time.
It's an aid in teaching the kids the seasons and what month they start.
Each first month of the season has a picture on it to help tell which of the seasons it is.
And all consecutive months of the same color go with that season.
After reviewing them,
We would play games using the cards to help them remember the months.
For example, I'd have the beginning of the season card and all the other cards were flipped upside down.
I'd hold up the blue card (December) and ask,
"What season is this month?"
The student (hopefully) replies Winter.
Then I'd ask,
"Name two more months in winter."
The student names them, then flips over the other blue cards to see if he's right.

For Multiplication
Made using Excel.
My kids love playing Bingo.
So to help keep multiplication facts fresh and fun,
I made this Multiplication Bingo game.
I made the charts and multiplication facts with card stock and laminated them.
When we play, I read off the multiplication fact,
and the student puts the bingo chip on the correct answer.
When only one child is playing, if they get the answer wrong, I put the multiplication fact back in the mix and they cannot put a bingo chip on their game board.
When two or more are playing,
I just help them figure out the answer so we can continue play.

For Fractions
I made this game using a template for a homemade cube.
The student rolls both 12 sided dice,
then rolls the large cube to see what to do with the numbers rolled.
Directions are on each side of the cube:
Make an Equivalent Fraction
Name the Numerator
More than Half? or Less than Half?
Name the Denominator
Draw the Fraction
Make an Improper Fraction
 For instance, if the student rolled a 4 and an 11,
And the cube rolled said, "Make an Improper Fraction",
The student would write 11/4.
Or if the cube rolled said, "Draw the Fraction"
The student would draw a shape with 11 equal parts and shade in four of them, etc.

These are just some of the ideas I have come up with to help in the area of elementary math.
If you have any questions,
Please feel free to comment.
I'd be more than happy to explain further.

No comments:

Post a Comment