Here are my 5 Helpful Hints for February 2013
2. Shop around!! You don't have to buy all your books at the same place. It is a bit of work, but I think it is well worth it. For example. If I were to buy all my curriculum through Sonlight this year, even with my free shipping being an heirloom member, I'd be spending just under $600. If I were to buy it all through CBD without using the shipping code (look at tip 5), I'd be spending $570. And if I were buying it all through Amazon, well let's just say, even with super-savings shipping on most of the products, I would be spending well over $600. Comparing all three of those sites, I figured out where it would cost us the least. I worked it out so I'd have free shipping from all three sites. My grand total to homeschool four kids for the 2013-2014 school year: $513!! That's $128.25 per child. (Much less expensive than private school!! - Can you find the oxymoron in that phrase? ha!)
3. If you are using Teaching Textbooks (any level) it is a very good idea to go to their web page and click on the Errata link at the bottom of the page. It will show you all the mistakes for each level in the book, CD and answer key. That way you can fix them or warn your student about them before they do the lesson. That will thwart any frustration your student may have concerning getting the answer right but the CD tells him/her it's wrong, etc. I'm telling you this from first-hand experience. :) Plus, if you find a mistake that isn't already listed, you can register it there. Warning: Watch out for your Teaching Textbooks curriculum's year. Newer purchased Teaching Textbooks curriculum (2010-2013) have different corrected mistakes than 2009 and earlier. They list 2010-2013 first though.
4. If you are planning on raising Painted Lady Caterpillars, now is the time to think about ordering. You can order now for a future date to be delivered. Friends in the south can have them delivered earlier in the spring while friends in the north can order at the same time and choose to have them delivered closer to late spring. We order through Earth's Birthday Project. <- The link I have available gives you a great description of the caterpillar's metamorphosis. I think their prices went up slightly from last year, but it's still a fairly inexpensive science activity costing $13.95 (for just the caterpillars & food) or $16.95 (for the beginner kit).
Edited 2/18/13: I just ordered my butterflies and shipping had to be 2 Day Fed Ex. The cost of shipping live insects to my house was $12.95. It made my final price ($13.95+shipping) $26.90. Sorry if this has caused any inconvenience for any of you all!! I had forgotten about the shipping charges when I originally posted this.
5. Now through February 28, 2013 (11:59pm ET) CBD (Christian Book Distributor) is having a Free Shipping promotion on orders over $100. It basically saves you about 10% of your purchase price in shipping charges. Use promo code 376265.
Ok, that's all I've got for now. Hope you find some of this helpful.
God Bless!
No comments:
Post a Comment