Proverbs 22:6

Proverbs 22:6
Train up a child in the way he should go, And when he is old he will not depart from it.

Saturday, May 5, 2012

Celebrate Space Day

 McWane Science Center was having their "Celebrate Space Day" today.
I was so excited when I saw it posted on Facebook.
And how awesome is it that we just started studying Space this week in school?
It couldn't have come at a better time!
All ready to learn more about Space
  The first class was on the planets.
We sat on the bleachers and watched a video sphere as Mr. Ben talked about each planet.
He asked the kids many questions about each of the planets.
I was so proud of my kiddos.
They answered many of the questions correctly.
And here I didn't think they were listening to me as I reading to them this past week. ha!
(And for good reason...sometimes they roll around the floor, talk or play while I read.  I didn't realize they were actually absorbing information too!)

Next we went to the Space Food class.
We learned all about Space food and even got to taste it!
Water is too heavy and expensive to fly, so they have to be wise with it.
They freeze dry the food and take only a limited amount of water with them.
We learned that they recycle water on the Space Shuttle.
Some of the ways they recycle water is not for the queasy.
So, we'll just leave it at that.
Although we've been reassured that the water in the Space Shuttle, after it goes through the filter, is cleaner than our water here on Earth.
Since all the food is freeze dried, all you have to do is add water, and Presto! Dinner time!

Mr. Ben made us Mac-N-Cheese, Peas & Carrots, Corn, Spicy Rice, Space Smores and Apple Pie without the crust.

C was very excited about tasting the once freeze dried Mac-N-Cheese.  Her face lets you know how it tasted.

Gv loved the Spicy Rice.  Course, that boy loves just about all food, freeze dried or not!

Ks favorite was the corn.  He kept on asking for more.

The apple pie was much more palatable for her taste.

Gt loved the smores.  His fave.

Our third activity was going into a mobile planetarium.
(Mobile in the sense that they can tear it down and set it up anywhere...Not that it was actually moving.)
=)
We all really enjoyed that.
And had fun learning about other stars and galaxies.
Plus we learned how to find Polaris (The North Star).

After 3 hours of learning about Space,
We took some time to just play.
The boys ready to take flight.

I've never seen such intense Putt-Putting before.  These boys play hardcore.

Playing with the scale.  I think they were measuring play food.  The thing of it was, they were actually in the construction zone.  I think they were supposed to be measuring 'boulders'.  Oh well.

Gt working the crane, with cauliflower behind him.

Our next field trip is going to be next week (hopefully).
We are going to go to NASAs Space & Science Center up in Huntsville.
And thanks to our McWance membership, we get in to the Space Center for free!

No comments:

Post a Comment