Proverbs 22:6

Proverbs 22:6
Train up a child in the way he should go, And when he is old he will not depart from it.

Saturday, May 19, 2012

Update: Praying Mantis Project

I am really disappointed with our Praying Mantis science project.  We ordered the Praying Mantis's to arrive on March 22. 
March 22, the day they arrive

The pamphlet said to allow 2-8 weeks for them to hatch.  On May 17, it marked 8 weeks. 
May 17, the last day they were supposed to hatch

In that time we managed to harvest a bounty of fruit flies.  And they managed to escape and make their way all through our house.  But thanks to a friend, I know how to get rid of them.  Thanks Amy!!

Plenty of fresh fruit went rotten and stunk up our kitchen.  And for what?  Apparently, for them to go outside and fend for themselves.
May 18, the egg sacs find a new home.  Good luck and rid my garden of pests little guys!!

The pamphlet did say that if they didn't hatch, to put them in the refrigerator overnight and then bring them back out, but to be honest with you . . . I'm sick to death of having them sitting on my counter.  The kids have lost interest in them and so have I.  So instead, I just put them in my garden.  I'm hoping they hatch and survive and keep the insects at bay.  If they don't hatch, well, I guess I spent $25 (including shipping) to have weird looking egg sacs, rotten fruit and fruit flies in my kitchen for two months.  =)


No comments:

Post a Comment