I cannot believe it's almost August 1st!
It has been my ritual to start school on that day for the last six years.
Of course for the next couple years, Aug 1st will fall on a weekend, so...
I can make an exception. =)
This year we will be studying Astronomy (I know, shocker!) & Anatomy in Science.
We'll learn about U.S. history from The Revolutionary War to the Civil War.
We'll read about Harriet Tubman, Abraham Lincoln, George Washington, etc.
We'll be reading about Adoniram Judson
(Missionary to the Burmese people)
We'll read great novels like:
Charlotte's Web
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz
Mr. Popper's Penguins
-Or should I say we'll re-read these novels.
I love these books!-
And of course, we'll be studying geography.
The younger kids are working on the states.
The older ones are working on world geography.
All these subjects & topics excite me,
But it still doesn't take away the fact that I struggle teaching 4 different grades simultaneously.
In previous years, I would have all the kids do their Math or Language Arts at the same time.
Thinking it would be easier that way.
Um...
It's not.
I would hear cries of, "Mom! Mom! I need help with my paper!"
While hearing, "I don't know what this word says!"
Along with, "How do you spell..."
And then the tearful child blurting out, "I don't understand this math problem!"
You get the picture.
It was like I was juggling in a circus act,
but I stunk at it.
And all my juggling balls started flying different directions.
I heard the crowd moan.
Or was that my children?!? ;)
As many of you know,
I'm always looking to try new things.
And this year is no different.
I think I'll be spending the rest of my homeschooling career trying to make it better.
There's no shame in that.
As long as I don't obsess.
So this year, I have come up with a tutoring plan.
And it goes something like this:
8:30-9:30am My 3rd grader gets my full attention on all the subjects where he needs help.
After that he spends his time reading and doing worksheets he has already mastered.
9:30-10:30am My 1st grader gets my full attention...
After that he spends his time doing what he's already mastered.
10:30-11:30am My 5th grader gets my full attention...
Before that she has already worked on what she's already mastered.
11:30am-12:30pm My 6th grader gets my full attention...
Before that he has already worked on what he's already mastered.
12:30-2:00pm Lunch Break
And playtime for the kids/Relax time for me
2:00-4:00ish We study the subjects we can all do together.
i.e. Bible and Science, History or Geography
Now granted, this takes a lot longer and more out of my day,
but I think my children will get a much better schooling experience,
and they will be able to grasp concepts better.
I got the idea from tutoring a neighbor.
Just one hour of one-on-one time with him 3x a week,
did wonders for him.
It was too good.
I put myself out of business. ;)
Oh well,
It was worth it to see him excel.
Who knows,
we may hate it.
But I won't know unless we try.
I'll have to update this blog after the first quarter to let you all know how it's going.
-------------------------------------------
Update: I know this isn't after the first quarter, but this method worked well at first, but then they all started demanding my attention again during somebody else's tutor time, and then I got a few babysitting jobs that were school hours. And, wha-la the tutoring system just ended up not happening.
We did have the best school year ever though!
No crying kids. (for the most part)
So that's a win!!
No comments:
Post a Comment